Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home


It has been more than a month since I checked in here.  Which in the world of the hourly facebook status update is positively dismal.  I could blame any number of factors all of which are just excuses because the reality is that the priorities always get done.  Somehow come rain, shine or power outage I still manage to get my teeth brushed everyday… and Chicken Little’s too. I always manage to send him to daycare clothed, (in more than just a diaper) and I haven’t forgotten him there once.  

But the Blog languishes.  Fortunately I don’t.  I’m catching on to the swing of things (work, kid,  and getting stuff accomplished.  I have another installment in my Wynken, Blynken and Nod series to share, and I am one step closer to finishing off my first “Real” Quilt.  Meaning – not a rag blanket.. but a REAL quilt.

But on a more exciting personal note… Art workshop. Oh yes  I joined the local artist guild in a full weekend workshop dedicated to the acrylic medium and learning new techniques.  Where I’m taking this I’m not sure – but I pulled out those acrylic brushes, and prayed my paints hadn't completely dried up… and I started on Friday night at 7:00 with a 16x20 canvas.  It isn't a masterpiece… but everyone has to start somewhere.

 
Acrylic on Canvas 

We painted all day Saturday and Sunday.  It rained outside and inside we dipped into colour and tried to learn a way in which to do things.  I learned a lot, and it was exhausting.  But I did enjoy it. The worst part was that the weekend was followed much too quickly by Monday and a return to work and the real world.  That in itself wouldn’t be much more than draining but what is truly disappointing is that I really have no idea when I might next be able to put paint on canvas, as life itself is catching up with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment